Sunday, July 25, 2010

Gorgeous Groningen

Hello everyone,

I've been trying to find time to blog lately but travelling has been preventing me from doing so! I'm sure you can forgive me...

After London Mel and I headed into the Netherlands again. I had a great time visiting a few museums that I'd previously missed - the Hermitage (fantastic, more contemporary, art) and the Rembrandt House (we got to see how Rembrandt lived and worked which was really cool) as well as spending a day with Dad's cousin Erik, who is a truck driver. Spending a day in a truck meant that I saw parts of Holland that I would have never have visited otherwise as well as learning some handy trucking skills :) Erik and I had a great day together!

Then it was off to Groningen on the train. Little did we realise that Dutch trains like to start off as one whole train and then split into two at a random point in the journey. Mel and I thought we were going to Groningen but found ourselves arriving in Leeuwarden (I think that is how you spell it....). All was not lost though, because the next train from there to Groningen came within 30 mins. The only minor detail was that we arrived a few hours later than planned!

We had a fantastic time in Groningen - it such a pretty city. Thank you very much, Oma and Opa, for your fantastic tips! We went up the Martinitoren, enjoyed a coffee in the cafe below, wandered through the beautiful town admiring the architecture, explored the markets and generally had a fantastic time enjoying the sunshine.

The next day we visited Leek and I found a shoe shop named Heys! It was such a surprise! I've never seen my name written up in lights like that :)

Next stop - Germany!

I have tried yesterday afternoon, last night and now this morning to add more photos. Internet connection not feeling happy. Must be in shock that I am attempting to blog again....! So, I guess its 'Tot Ziens' to this post for now. Will add more photos later, I promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment