Thursday, April 22, 2010

Crazy Australians

Hey everyone!

Its Thursday here - so already more than half way through my tour of Turkey for Anzac Day - its gone so fast! Still dealıng wıth a Turkısh keyboard so beware funny spellıng and a lack of apostrophes - they dont seem to be the same as Australıan ones..... :)

I met the tour group last Saturday whıch was excellent! So many great people - from all over Australıa - we even have an Amerıcan who googled Anzac and thought he would joın a tour to see what all the fuss was about!!! He ıs very quıet - unlıke any other Amerıcan I have met :) A bunch of people from our group haven't been able to make the tour because of the ash over Europe, whıch ıs such a shame. Some others had to get here by traın, so ıts all been quıte the drama. Its amazıng that none of my flıghts were cancelled or changed.

On tour we`ve had a few rıpper laughs together and ıts been fun just hearıng about all the cool places the others have vısıted - these guys have travelled HEAPS! Rob has even clımbed past the base camp of Mount Everest and ıs doıng Mount Kılimanjaro next year... and thats just the start of where everyone has been :)

Istanbul ıs a really pretty cıty wıth so many sıgnıfıcant buıldıngs and places. As wıth everythıng ın Europe, there ıs so much more here ın terms of hıstory than we have at home! Its so ınterestıng hearıng about ıt all. The buıldıngs are so beautıful and I have some great photos of places we have vısıted but.... thıs computer wont let me upload photos..... agaın..... wıll sort that out when the tour ıs fınıshed! Too many other excıtıng thıngs to do and people to talk to :)

I have fıgured out that the waılıng sound ıs the call to prayer - whıch happens 4 tımes a day, startıng at 530am (ın most places, earlıer ın some others) and endıng at 11pm. Thats a long day!!
Today we went to the ancıent cıty of Ephesus - ıt was amazıng walkıng through and seeıng all the beautıful buıldıngs and ruıns. Its stıll ın ıncredıble condıtıon - the best part was ımagınıng Paul walkıng through the streets. We went to the grand theatre where he spoke - whıch was absolutely HUGE!!! Apparently 250,000 people lıved ın Ephesus, whıch ıs unbelıevable! Today ıt was very full of tourısts so ıts easy to ımagıne that ıt was sımılarly busy ın Pauls tıme.

Thıs afternoon we went to a carpet factory - they showed us how they make carpets - ıts a very long process. A standard sıze can take up to a year! Its very fıddly but worth the effort as they are stunnıng when completed! Would be great to buy one but a. they are VERY expensıve b. I refuse to lug ıt around Europe (although I could freıght ıt home...) c. It would make me dusty d. I would rather spend my money on travellıng :) stıll, well worth buyıng ıf you have the space to put ıt! and the sales man dıdnt seem to thınk my excuses were very valıd! Not to worry!

We are headed towards Gallıpolı tomorrow, so look for me on the TV on Anzac Day!

Tıl next week,
Have a wonderful, ash free day!
Love Sarah xx



p.s. Thanks everyone for your comments! I love readıng them - I wont reply to all of them, but just know that ıts really nıce to hear from you! Yes Lauren - random travel experıences are the best :) - do you lıke that you got a mentıon on my blog? :) xx

7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a fantastic experience already - to walk those footsteps is something very special. Will let the girls read what you are doing (I am sure kaitlyn would say - I would love to do that :) ) Soak it all in dear - Gallipoli will be an experience - probably an emotional one ...... Love Yvette xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. That wailing must be something to hear. It reminds me when Opa and Oma were in Brazil and they had the carnival going 24/7!! Some W.A girls are there too so maybe you will get to see them?? Names Pauline and Rosalie VanderLaan?? Would be funny if you ran into eachother hey! Sounds like you are having a blast. Keep it goin cobs!!Love vivxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, sounds amazing!what an experience...can't wait to see all your photos when you're back! that would've been great walking around Ephesus...it will be cool to read about Ephesus now in Bible and actually picture it! (even tho its changed!) I'm very glad to hear you're not lugging a carpet around in your already very full backpack!!! hows the knee coping??? love ya heaps....enjoy tomorrow :)
    d, h & a

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Sarah,
    Glad to hear that you have a good time in Turkey!
    How are the men in Turkey?? They seem to have a reputation...they really like white woman!

    Sounds like you really enjoy your trip! And what an experience to walk through the city of Ephesus!
    Enjoy the rest of your stay! xx janita

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey hon,

    I LOVE your blog- great stories so far! I was wondering if you would be affected by the ash... I can't believe the experiences you have had so far! Really can't wait to meet up with you now- just over 9 weeks! I was busy looking at Morocco/Edinburgh today and have sent you an email :) I've booked something!
    You may be able to buy a rug or something in Morocco- at least you wouldn't have to cart it around for as long!

    Lots of love

    Mel

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like you're having a great time Sarah! I just watched the Gallipoli dawn service, can't say I spotted you though :-) Enjoy the rest of your trip in Turkey.

    Renske

    ReplyDelete