Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Incredible Ireland

Hey everyone,
Here are some more pictures of a country that is definitely up there in my favourites!! Irish people are the best - so friendly, entertaining and welcoming. The scenery is second to none. The atmosphere is fantastic. I had a GREAT time! Truly experiences I will never forget. Cameras can't capture things like they are in real life.... but you will get the idea :)
Enjoy these photos - and put Ireland on you 'must visit' list!
Love Sarah xxx
The Brazen Head - Ireland's oldest pub. Great live Irish music!

A round tower in Glendalough (pronounced Gledalock) - the Irish used to climb in here to escape from enemies. Not a bad attempt at a self-portrait, wouldn't you say?!

I just love the character of Irish pubs - it oozes out onto the streets

Exploring Achill Island - in the North West-ish. I say 'ish' because it isn't truly North West, but it's not West either... :) Kinda in between! Achill Island is a stunning part of the country that many people skip over - I went there on the advice of a young bog farmer, who I got to talking to as I was photographing amazing scenery. Best advice ever!! I visited there with Frankie, a Canadian girl that I hired a car with for a few days. We had a great time!
This is Ireland at its best

Rolling green hills - some of my favourite things

I climbed up this! Well... most of the way... the last section leading to the top was practically vertical and impossible for me to scale. Didn't want to risk the old knee... It's MUCH steeper than it looks :)

Some of the great views I got as a result of clambering up rocks

As Frankie and I were heading back towards Dublin we came across some school kids playing Gaelic Football - we watched for a few minutes - it's a sport that looks like lots of fun! A good mix between AFL and soccer

Frankie and I having a drink in Dublin to celebrate our adventures

A lake in the Wicklow Mountains. Stunning!

After travelling with Frankie I went on a short overnight tour to Northern Ireland. This is a castle on Slane Hill. We clambered up it! Was easy, coz it had stairs :)

Walking towards the Carrick-a-rede rope bridge

The bridge - 30 m above water, leading to a cool little island

The Giant's Causeway - stunning rock formations! Irish legend says Fionn McCool - an Irish giant - built it all the way across to Scotland so he could be with the girl he loved

Sitting on the part of the road to Scotland :)

We stayed in Derry - also known as Londonderry - a city of great unrest and home of Bloody Sunday

WB Yeats - the great Irish poet

Had I the heavens' embroidered cloths,
Enwrought with golden and silver light,
The blue and the dim and the dark cloths
Of night and light and the half-light,
I would spread the cloths under your feet:
But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet,
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams
W.B. Yeats

Adam, our tour guide and bus driver - a great bloke with a real flair for story telling!

The Atlantic Ocean

Captured it! Irish dancing in action :) The dancers move incredibly fast!

Goodbye Ireland :(
I'll be back :)

2 comments:

  1. Looks like you had a blast there!!!Lisa will be most jealous!! she has always wanted to go to Ireland :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ireland was so much fun! Tell Alyssa to convince DMC that it's a super duper honeymoon location :) hee hee! And it's not too far away! just a little plane ride....

    ReplyDelete