Monday, November 29, 2010

Last Moments Overseas...

Hello everyone,
On my last day in South Africa Aunty Gwen and I visited the Groote Schuur Hospital where the world's first heart transplant was performed by Dr Christiaan Barnard (also the hospital where the medicine students - including Adrian and Rob - do a lot of their work!). This monumental event occured on the 3rd December 1967. Dr Barnard performed his 'maiden' operation on Louis Washansky, with a heart donated by Denise Darvall, who had been fatally injured in a car accident. Although Louis didn't live for long after the operation (18 days), the heart transplant was a success. He eventually died of pneumonia.
The hospital has a section which is set up as a museum that is dedicated to the incredible history of heart transplants and the wonderful work that Dr Barnard did in the advancement of medicine worldwide. It's such an inspirational museum! I'm so glad that I still had a chance to visit before leaving.
After the museum we caught up with Adrian and Rob who were on campus studying and doing exam work. The four of us went out for lunch before Aunty Gwen, Rob and I headed to the airport, with Adrian heading back to hit the books! It was a strange feeling, that drive to the airport. It really meant that the end was near... I had to say goodbye again to our very special family living so far away... take a long trip home and then life would go back to 'normal'...
I had such a wonderful time in South Africa! Thank you Aunty Gwen, Uncle Andre, Adrian, Rob, Simone and Danelle for making it a trip to remember! I had an absolute blast and made so many good memories. It was hard to leave - be sure to keep a 'spare' bed for me as I'm planning to be back :) Soon I hope!
Love you all,
God bless,
Sarah xxx
Time for a last note before leaving - taken quite ridiculously early actually :)
The first home I'd lived in for a very long time, complete with a newly planted garden! a lot like my 'real' home in Australia. If you look out of the top windows you can even see Table Mountain! pretty special :)
Last tourist stop

Dr Barnard in his younger years, at the height of his career

Operation details - check out the time of the anaesthetic!

The operation itself - it's unbelievably lifelike, even though it is a model

Holding/shaking Louis Washansky's hand in congratulations for making it through!

The beginning of the last leg of a very long and happy journey around the world

1 comment:

  1. I care for myself. The more solitary, the more friendless, the more unsustained I am, the more I will respect myself.
    Flights to Hong Kong | Cheap Flights to Hong Kong | Cheap Air Tickets to Hong Kong

    ReplyDelete