Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Disappearing Act

Hello everyone,

Yep! I still exist and I am now FINALLY getting around finishing my blog :) It's a sad day. The end of this blog means the end of a dream. For the moment!!! There WILL be plenty more travelling where that came from for this girl. You can be sure of that :) The world is too exciting to not 'head back out there.'

I've almost been home for two months. Wow, time sure flies!! While I was away I set myself some challenges.

  • Number 1 was to make my bed everyday. That didn't happen... although when I finally get my room totally sorted out, I will endeavour to achieve that!
  • Number 2 was to not race around and make myself so busy. I'm working on that! Somedays I achieve it and somedays I don't. My percentage of success is well over 50% (in my opinion....!) so that means I'm on the right track. These things take time to develop :)
  • Number 3 was to not worry if a week goes by and I don't get any of my clothes washed. I can 100% say I have achieved that! I do still run the washing machine a lot but so many weekends have gone by where my basket of dirty clothes just stays full. I have sooooo many more clothes to choose from now (compared to what my beloved backpack held) so washing isn't the necessity it used to be!
  • There were a few more but I won't bore you with the details!
Since I've been home I've been applying for jobs as well as doing relief teaching. Relief teaching has been excellent!! I have really loved going into other classrooms and meeting new faces as well as seeing how other teachers 'do things'. I've learnt a lot from the teachers who have kindly been sick and allowed me to come in for the day. It's amazing how little opportunity we teachers get to see what others do - it's a great learning tool. I was fairly hesitant about relief as I thought 'those kids will just run rings around me' but that hasn't been the way at all! I've really learnt that I'm made of much tougher stuff than I first thought. Last week I had my first time in a grade 6 classroom (prompt mini freak out to myself that morning) and when I walked in to the room the boys said, "This will be fun. She won't know how strict Mr Levett is etc etc." By lunch a few were muttering, "You're not as stupid as we thought you'd be. I can't believe that we haven't gotten away with stuff." Was pretty happy with that! And now I don't know what I was so bothered about. It turned out to be one of the 'easiest' relief days I've had!

Since starting with reliefing I've been getting a fair bit of work. Not every day, but most weeks I've been working between 2 and 4 days. Brilliant! and it's turned me into a morning person. For those of you who know me, you would well remember my comment, "Getting out of bed is the worst part of my day." Now I wake up at about 6:30 and quite happily get out of bed a little after that, even when I'm not working - strange! - that is thanks to all of those early morning, "Can you work today?" calls.

The BEST thing about relief teaching is that I'm out of school between 3:45 and 4:15. The rest of the day is mine to occupy! Oh, and that little thing called reports....? relief teachers don't even realise they exist :) Good life, don't you reckon :)

I'm enjoying what I'm doing at the moment. We'll see what plans God reveals next.

Enjoy my latest posts everyone,
Sarah xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment